AOHNP (UK) is the leading organisation dedicated to developing and promoting the professional leadership and practice of Occupational Health Nursing.
The AOHNP (UK) was formed in 1992 to increase representation and raise the profile of occupational health nurses in the UK. The Association, which is a highly respected professional organisation, comprises Occupational Health Nurse Practitioners working across all sectors of UK industry and at all levels of employment from service directors to students. However individuals who work or have an interest in occupational health, but are not registered nurses, are welcome to join the Association as Associate members.
Its first Patron, journalist and bowel cancer champion Lynn Faulds Wood, was appointed in July 2000. AOHNP strategy is directed by its constitution and is managed by an elected Board who offer their services on a purely voluntary basis. Directors are integral to the board with their primary role of supporting the occupational health needs of members.
The Board is supported by working parties formed from interested members, or from allied professions, all working together for the benefit of the profession. Building on past successes the Association continues to grow as a professional organisation dedicated to occupational health nurse practitioners.
The aims of AOHNP (UK) are to:
Promote – to actively represent and promote the practice of occupational health nursing
Influence – to support and influence the learning and development of occupational health nursing through participation in curriculum development and occupational health standards
Support – to support and promote the continuing professional development of occupational health nurses
Benchmark – to work in association with other relevant agencies to benchmark and research occupational health nursing practice
Network – to provide a network of professional expertise and support.
What we offer:
- Regional contact point
- Networking Opportunities – access to a professional Board of Directors with over 160 years experience in all sectors
- Special advisory network including legal, HR, marketing and research
- Website containing information, guidance and links to useful resources
- Facebook and Linked In groups
- Easy access to Unite and BHIB Insurance Brokers (formerly Brett & Randall) for union representation and professional indemnity insurance
- OH Today – members e-newsletter 4 times per year available on website
- Monthly E-bulletin
- Scholarships of up to £100 toward attending study days, on-line professional development, books and other educational activities
- Various events each year, including our Ruth Alston Memorial Lecture and Good Practice Forum, with speakers and refreshments.
Networking and Support
AOHNP (UK) can answer queries from members on OH matters and the MDU can give professional / legal advice, but we have never had a specialist advisor as we are primarily a networking / support group. AOHNP (UK) is managed by an elected Board who offer their time and expertise on a purely voluntary basis. They are supported by a paid part-time administrator. All funds raised through membership fees, events and sponsorship are used to provide these services and support our members.
If you are also a member of another OHN group please don’t hesitate to let us know so that we can continue to broaden our networking capabilities.